Sign in or
The SMAW Mk153 Mod 0 (Shoulder-launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon) is a shoulder-fired rocket launcher based on the Israeli B-300. It is accurate to 500 meters against a tank-sized target, but its primary purpose is bunker busting.
The SMAW fires 83mm rockets of various payloads, such as thermobaric, high explosive dual purpose, and high explosive anti-armor. It also has the unique feature of a spotting rifle on the right side of the launcher; the rifle fires a unique round, made from a .22 Hornet blank charge, a 7.62mm NATO crimped casing, and a 9mm tracer bullet. The spotting rifle is ballistically matched to the rocket; in other words, if the spotting rifle hits the target, the rocket will. The spotting rifle can also be replaced by the AN/PEQ-4 laser.
The SMAW has been in use since 1984 with the United States Marine Corps
Where to find:
The SMAW is a military-only weapon and is not currently sold to civillians. It is currently in use with the United States Marine Corps, the Republic of China (Taiwan) Marine Corps, and the Lebanese Armed Forces, making these the only suppliers of these weapons.
The SMAW takes some brains to work; the spotting rifle (if used) needs to be properly calibrated, and there's the obvious dangers of backblast and errant explosives that can easily kill unintended targets, such as yourself.
Size and weight:
Weight 7.67 kg (16.9 lbs). Length 759.46 mm (29.9 in.).
The safety is a lever on the trigger group with labels for SAFE and FIRE. The charging lever must be pulled to prevent a misfire. The launch lever must be held forward and down to allow for the trigger to be pulled. The cocking lever is on the spotting rifle and must be cocked to use it.
Note: The SMAW should not be fired in the prone position, as the backblast will reflect off the ground and hit you and anyone nearby.
1) Check the firing mechanism safety lever and ensure it is in the "SAFE" position, and the charging lever is in the uncharged position. Check the launcher tube to ensure it is free of obstructions.
2) Remove the front-end cap of the encased rocket by rotating it 1/4 turn counterclockwise. Place the cap on the deck with the magazine facing up. Do not touch the electrical contacts.
3) Insert the encased rocket into the aft end of the rocket launcher and rotate it clockwise until it locks in place.
4) Remove the spotting rifle magazine from the front-end cap. Place the magazine in the rifle.
5) Pull the spotting rifle's cocking lever to the rear and release it.
6) Place the charging lever in the charge position.
7) Aim at the target.
8) Take the safety off.
9) Pull the trigger to fire the spotting rifle. Check the backblast area to make sure that it is clear.
10) Push the launch lever with your right thumb, then pull the trigger to fire the rocket.
1) Place the safety in the SAFE position.
2) Press the locking mechanism on the left side of the magazine well and remove the spotting rifle's magazine.
3) Pull the cocking lever on the spotting rifle to the rear to check that the chamber is clear.
4) Rotate the rocket counter-clockwise out the rear of the launcher.
Unique aspects of this gun.
Latest page update: made by theman838
, Mar 31 2012, 11:44 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by theman838
6 words added
6 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.